Thinking about goals for 2009
ITH had a thread on poker goals for the year. I posted there, but figured I would list them here also.
1. Enjoy poker.
2. Don't use poker as a default way to spend the extra 20/30/40 minutes if I don't want to play.
3. Maintain supernova on stars (not sure if the first two are compatable with putting in the 20-hours per month I need to make supernova, but hopefully ...).
4. Earn money. I would be thrilled if I came close to earning what I made in 2008 (I would like more, naturally, but if I made what I did in 2008, I would be one happy potato).
Reviewing last years goals:
1. Continue to make some side-money for my family. I would love to make enough to finish our basement and fully-fund my roth IRA and my wife's roth and conventional IRA. (I know - saving for retirement - pretty exciting thing to do with poker winnings.)
Well, this was mostly a success. We finished our basement and did contribute quite a bit to savings.
2. Play a few more tourneys. Related to this, I would love to play a major live tourney or two, but I am not sure when/where I will get the opportunity.
Online, I did not play too many tourneys. So this would be a failure. But, I did play and cash in the $1500 WSOP event #2., so this was a partial success.
3. Work my way up to 5/10 NL holdem.
I came nowhere close. I played a bit of 5/10 from time to time, but losing one massive pot was enough to send me back down the limits. I still mostly grind 1/2 NL, but I do play some 2/4 and 3/6.
4. Begin Poker-Coaching.
I did a bit of this. I enjoyed it, but I don't really have much time for this.