Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tips for playing HU NL poker

I will start posting various tips on playing NL HU poker. Some will seem obvious, others not-so-obvious. Some will be technical, others not.

Today, I begin where you begin: picking a table.


TOPIC 1: How to select a table in NL HU cash games

Table selection is important in all games, but it might be more critical in HU games than elsewhere. There are only two players in a HU game, you and your opponent. Unless you are better than everyone in the world, there are two possibilities:

- You are better than your opponent
- Your opponent is better than you

There is more to it than that, of course. There are many players who I think I am better than who play HU NL, but I avoid them. Why? Because they are decent players and their flaws are more-minor than the typical player. Against these players, my EV would be way down.

So, table selection is important, but you might ask: how do I find a good opponent to play? Here are a few tips:

1. When you first sit down – search the opponent on the site. Are they playing multiple HU tables? If they are – you should probably leave. Someone who plays multiple heads-up tables at once almost always is a winner. Why? Well if they are not a winner, they won’t be playing HU NL very long – so it would be really lucky to bump into one.

2. How much do they buy in for? If someone buys in for the full amount or the pre-set standard amount, that does not tell me much about their play. But, if someone buys in for $126.2 at the $1/$2 NL table, that gives me very valuable information. They probably are buying in for the last of their bankroll. Players who do this are more likely to make big errors, and I love them at my table. Further, players who buy in for the minimum or close to it and only play one table are often appealing.

3. When you are playing, what do you notice? Is this player making good value bets, mixing up his/her play, bluffing or semi-bluffing occasionally, etc. If so, perhaps you should leave. If someone is raising all in for $80 pre-flop to steal your $2 – smile and enjoy!

4. Have you lost 2-buyins to the same player? If you have, maybe you should leave. First, maybe you think they are weak, but they are stronger than you. Even if they are indeed weak, they are now likely playing their very best game. There is nothing wrong with stopping the game and going to another table. Sometimes, even mention in chat – "you have my number today, so I think I am done: gg". If you really think that player is weak, they will spot you again at a later time and might sit down with you.


Many people feel embarrassed to leave a table. Don’t be this guy. Poker is about making money. There are many times I have said “no thanks” and sat out when someone I don’t want to face sits at my table. Other times I have said “I think you seem like a good player – I am going to look for some fish.” If your goal is to improve against good competition, then take on some of these players and test yourself. However, if your goal is to make money, don’t feel embarrassed about not playing the other strong players.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home